DELRAY BEACH, FL (Boca Post) (Copyright © 2026) — The George Bush Boulevard Bascule Bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway in Delray Beach will close for nearly seven weeks beginning Monday, June 1, while Palm Beach County completes essential bridge deck repairs.
The closure begins at 7 a.m. on Monday, June 1, 2026, and is scheduled to continue through Monday, July 20, 2026.
The bridge will be closed to both vehicles and pedestrians during the repair period. Drivers and pedestrians will be detoured using Federal Highway, Atlantic Avenue and Ocean Boulevard.
No closures for maritime traffic are expected. Boats using the Intracoastal Waterway are not expected to be affected by the bridge deck repair closure.
The George Bush Boulevard Bascule Bridge is a movable bridge that carries traffic over the Intracoastal Waterway in Delray Beach. The upcoming work is focused on the bridge deck, the surface portion used by vehicles and pedestrians.
Palm Beach County Engineering and Public Works is overseeing the closure and repair project. The county department handles road, bridge and public infrastructure work, including maintenance and repairs on county-owned transportation assets.
County engineering staff said the work had been anticipated, and temporary measures have already been put in place to keep the bridge operating safely until the scheduled closure begins.

Once the closure starts, the bridge will not reopen to vehicles or pedestrians at night or during any part of the repair window. Palm Beach County Engineering and Public Works staff reviewed whether access could be maintained across a portion of the bridge, or whether the bridge could be reopened during overnight hours, but determined there was no way to safely reopen it to vehicular or pedestrian traffic at any time during the closure.
That means the detour will remain in place continuously from the morning of June 1 until the scheduled reopening on July 20.
For Delray Beach drivers, the closure will affect local east-west movement across the Intracoastal Waterway. Anyone who normally uses George Bush Boulevard to cross between the mainland and barrier island areas should plan for additional travel time and use the posted detour route.
Federal Highway, Atlantic Avenue and Ocean Boulevard will serve as the detour route during the work.
Pedestrians should also plan another route. The bridge will not remain partially open for foot traffic, and the county said pedestrian access will be closed for the duration of the repair period.
The closure comes as Palm Beach County works to complete bridge deck repairs intended to improve safety and infrastructure efficiency. The county described the closure as a temporary inconvenience tied to necessary work on the bridge.
Residents, commuters, pedestrians and visitors in Delray Beach should watch for detour signs before June 1 and avoid attempting to cross the bridge while the closure is in effect.
The closure is scheduled to begin at 7 a.m. Monday, June 1, 2026. The bridge is scheduled to remain closed through Monday, July 20, 2026.
This issue is part of broader local coverage tracked in Delray Beach News.




