Baby Almost Dies Of Fentanyl Overdose In Boca Raton, Parents Arrested
Bianley Jolicoeur and Gekia Hunter Arrested
BOCA RATON, FL – Boca Post (BocaPost.com) — Parents of a 7-month-old baby who nearly died of a fentanyl overdose at the Boca Inn have been arrested.
According to an arrest affidavit submitted by detectives from the Boca Raton Police Department, firefighters, and police officers responded to the Boca Inn just before 8 PM on Monday, March 13th, 2023 when the parents called 9-1-1 to report their 7-month-old baby was not breathing.
First responders found the non-responsive baby in full cardiac arrest. Paramedics were able to regain a faint pulse after performing life-saving measures. The baby was rushed to Boca Raton Regional Hospital where the staff quickly administered a Narcan shot which revived the baby. Note, Narcan is a medicine used to reverse an opioid overdose.
Police later spoke to both parents who gave contradicting stories about how the baby may have overdosed on fentanyl. Hunter initially denied ever using a type of drug in the hotel room.
When confronted that the victim needed to be administered Narcan, Hunter started crying saying that Jolicoeur lied to her. Hunter told Police that Jolicoeur has been selling heroin and that after she called 9-1-1 she asked him if the baby got into his stuff to which he said no. Both Jolicoeur and Hunter admitted that they did engage in drug use while in the hotel room.
Police also reviewed a video at the inn where they can see Hunter throwing something in the trash just before the fire department arrives. Officers say that they found drugs and drug paraphernalia in the trash.
The baby has been upgraded to stable condition and has been transferred to Joe DiMaggio Children’s Hospital.
Bianley Jolicoeur and Gekia Hunter are facing the following charges:
- 893.13(6A) POSSESSION OF FANTANYL
- 827.03(1E2B) NEGLECT OF A CHILD CAUSING GREAT BODILY HARM
- 918.13(1) TAMPERING WITH PHYSICAL EVIDENCE
- 784.05(1) CULPABLE NEGLIGENCE (EXPOSURE TO INJURY)