Developing story: This report may be updated as additional information is confirmed. Updates will appear at the bottom of the article.
COCONUT CREEK, FL (Boca Post) (Copyright © 2026) — North Broward Preparatory School canceled classes Wednesday after administrators learned an overnight bomb threat had been made to multiple schools, including North Broward Prep, according to a message sent to families.
The threat was reported to the Coconut Creek Police Department. School leaders said they were keeping the campus clear “out of an abundance of caution” and at the request of police while law enforcement completed its work.
Coconut Creek Police were on campus conducting what the school described as a full sweep, including the use of bomb-sniffing dogs.
As a result, school was called off for the day.
This was after the school told parents that no day students or staff were allowed on campus during the police response in the following letter:
Dear Parents, Students, and Faculty: Minutes ago, we became aware of a bomb threat that was made overnight to multiple schools, including North Broward Prep.The threat was reported to the Coconut Creek Police Department. Out of an abundance of caution, and at the request of Coconut Creek Police we are keeping campus clear until law enforcement has completed their work.
Coconut Creek Police are currently on campus conducting a full sweep, including the use of bomb-sniffing dogs. As a result, school is canceled today.
No day students or staff are allowed on campus at this time. Boarding students are the only students currently on campus. They are safe, supervised, and being cared for by our boarding team and faculty in accordance with our school policies and procedures.All threats to our school are taken very seriously.
We understand that this may be worrying, and we want to reassure you that the safety and wellbeing of our students is our highest priority. Please do not come to campus at this time. We need to keep roads and phone lines clear while law enforcement completes their sweep. We will send another update as new information becomes available.
It’s the kind of situation that doesn’t need hype to feel heavy. A bomb threat is serious on its own, and the response is what you’d expect when safety is the priority: clear the campus, bring in trained units, sweep carefully, and keep people away until law enforcement says it’s safe.
The school also urged families not to come to campus during the sweep, saying roads and phone lines needed to stay clear while police finished their work. Another update will be sent when new information becomes available, the message said.
Separately, Coconut Creek Police addressed inquiries from media organizations about a different claim circulating Wednesday morning — an “active shooter threat” tied to North Broward Prep. In a post on X, the department told “media friends” calling about an active shooter threat that it was a false alarm.
To all of our media friends calling about the active shooter threat at North Broward Preparatory School… it was a false alarm.
— Coconut Creek Police Department (@CoconutCreekPD) January 6, 2026
For parents, that clarification matters. These are not interchangeable situations, and loose language spreads fast, especially when people are searching for answers in the first hour. What’s clear from the information provided: the school responded to an overnight bomb threat, police were actively sweeping the campus, and classes were canceled while the investigation and safety checks continued.
No additional details about the origin of the threat or any potential suspect information were included in the school’s message.
UPDATE
Coconut Creek Police Department tells Boca Post that both North Broward Prep & Coconut Creek High School were sent threats. Police checked both campuses and all was clear. NBP made the call to cancel classes for the day. Creek High got in about 45 minutes late.

0 Comments