Newsmax, headquartered in Boca Raton, sued by voting software company

by | Nov 5, 2021 · 12:42 am | Lawsuits, Boca Raton Archive | 0 comments

Newsmax founder and CEO Chris Ruddy pictured in 2018. (Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty Images/TNS)

Let's Be Friends

Support Boca Post by following us on Facebook, X (formerly Twitter), Instagram, and Nextdoor for trusted local news, events, weather updates, and important community information delivered as it happens.

BOCA RATON, FL (Boca Post) (Copyright © 2021) — Newsmax sued by voting software company.

On Wednesday, Nov. 3, Smartmatic, a voting software company began two defamation lawsuits against Newsmax and One America News (OAN) – two prominent television news channels.

This suit comes forth as a result of statements made by the channels claiming that Smartmatic software engaged in election-wide vote altering behavior.

After the 2020 US presidential election, reports making these claims were published by the defendants despite verifiable information stating Smartmatic only hosted services in Los Angeles County during the election.

Smartmatic initiated the suits in separate states – the OAN suit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, while the Newsmax suit lies in state court in Delaware.

Representative and Smartmatic chief executive Antonio Mugica discusses the effect statements have had on its global infrastructure.

“The damage to Smartmatic from this parallel universe of lies and disinformation has reverberated across the United States and in dozens of countries around the world,” Mugica said. “The global repercussions for our company cannot be overstated.”

While Smartmatic has not mentioned the value of their losses, the company states that they have lost $2 billion in pure value, while damages owed will be determined at trial.

Smartmatic attorney J. Erik Connolly also highlights potentially unethical practices in reporting.

“Despite claims to provide viewers with honest, unbiased reporting, these outlets victimized Smartmatic by spreading false information about the company following last year’s election, all in their efforts to increase viewership and revenue,” Connolly said.

While OAN was unavailable for comments on the subject, a Newsmax representative defends their reporting, claiming reports were accurate in their portrayal and claiming the lawsuit represents a definitive attempt to undermine the rights of the free press.

Tags: Elections

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More News

Boca Raton Woman Convicted In 2012 Child Sex Trafficking Case Arrested On Sex Offender Registration Charge - Mandi Bowman

Boca Raton Woman Convicted in 2012 Child Sex Trafficking Case Arrested on Sex Offender Registration Charge

A Boca Raton woman convicted in a 2012 child sex trafficking case is facing a new charge after investigators say she failed to complete a required six-month sex offender re-registration following a late-2025 address change.

Boca Raton Woman Accused Of Damaging Vehicle After Prior Case Reduced - Florence Okyerebea Djan

ARRESTED AGAIN: Boca Raton Woman Accused of Damaging Vehicle After Prior Case Reduced

A woman was arrested after police said she struck a vehicle at the Glades Road and Dixie Highway intersection, the second similar arrest tied to her since November court records show.

Two Teens Arrested After Pembroke Pines Man Found Dead In Suv At West Broward Boat Ramp

Two Teens Arrested After Man Found Dead in SUV at West Broward Boat Ramp

Two 19-year-old suspects are in custody in Texas after Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives tied them to a homicide involving a 22-year-old Pembroke Pines man found dead inside a vehicle at the West Broward Boat Ramp off U.S. 27.

Boca Raton Woman Charged In Pepper Spray Attack On Ex’s New Girlfriend - Jennifer Montes

Boca Raton Woman Charged in Pepper Spray Attack on Ex’s New Girlfriend

A Boca Raton woman is facing felony charges after West Palm Beach police said she opened a driver’s door, sprayed the driver with a chemical agent, and a van later blocked the driver’s only exit route.

Boca Raton Tennis Coach Arrested In Child Sex Case, Pbso Seeking Victims - Cemal Kaya

UPDATE: Boca Raton Tennis Coach Arrested in Child Sex Case, PBSO Seeking Victims

Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office detectives arrested Boca Raton tennis coach Cemal Kaya, 18, on charges of sexual battery and lewd or lascivious exhibition involving a minor, and investigators say there may be additional victims.