WIPE OUT: Boca Surf Park Project Voted Down After Resident Pushback

by | Nov 4, 2025 · 11:09 am | Politics & Government, Boca Raton Archive | 3 comments

Let's Be Friends

Support Boca Post by following us on Facebook, X (formerly Twitter), Instagram, and Nextdoor for trusted local news, events, weather updates, and important community information delivered as it happens.

“It’s a beautiful project but not the right location.”

BOCA RATON, FL (Boca Post) (Copyright © 2025) — After initial excitement about the idea, plans to build the proposed Boca Surf Park in Boca Raton’s new North Park have been canceled following strong opposition from residents.

Greater Boca Raton Beach & Park District Commissioner Bob Rollins made the motion to stop the project, saying he could not support moving forward with it in the Boca Teeca neighborhood.

“I’m uncomfortable moving forward,” Rollins said. “It’s a beautiful project but not the right location. The folks who live in that neighborhood are the most vociferous.”

His remarks drew screams and loud applause from the crowd gathered at the district’s meeting Monday night. The motion ended consideration of the 18-plus acre wave park proposal, halting the process instead of allowing developers to continue refining their plans.

The proposers had just finished their latest presentation, which included a video and PowerPoint showing a smaller footprint and additional landscape buffers from nearby homes. They did not comment after the vote.

The board’s decision was not unanimous. Although the surf park had previously been ranked first among proposals under review, the motion to abandon it passed on a 3-2 vote. Commissioner Steve Engel supported the motion, saying he would not want a surf park in his backyard either. Commissioner Susan Vogelgesang agreed, citing many residents’ emails about the project’s potential impact on quality of life and property values.

Commissioner Craig Ehrnst opposed the decision, saying the board should have allowed the planning process to continue.

“This is a huge investment for these people and you are walking away from it. I’m disappointed,” Ehrnst said about the $60 million project, which would have provided a regular return for the district without requiring district investment.

Commission Chair Erin Wright also voted no, saying, “It’s very early in the process to do that.” The district’s legal counsel confirmed that the decision to stop the project would be final.

More than 30 people spoke during public comment before the vote, both for and against the surf park. One speaker cited a deed restriction requiring the property to remain a golf course in perpetuity, warning the district would face lawsuits if it attempted to use the land for another purpose.

The district purchased the Ocean Breeze Golf Course property in 2018, originally planning to replace it with a public golf course. Those plans changed after the City of Boca Raton received the nearby Boca Raton Golf & Racquet Club as a gift for public use. Current potential plans for North Park now include public golf.

The more than four-hour district meeting took place at the Willow Theatre in Sugar Sand Park, a larger venue than the district’s board room, as discussions about the surf park and a new soccer field complex drew large crowds.

3 Comments

  1. Thank you Commissioners Rollins, Engel & Vogelegsang for making the responsible decision and stopping the incompatible proposal.

    Reply
  2. Stop trying to overdevelop Boca. Just because there’s open land doesn’t mean it needs to get Multimillion dollar projects. New parks and nature trailsnare what’s needed.

    Reply
  3. Thank you commissioners you made the right decision.

    Reply

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More News

Man Accused Of Striking Protester With Flagpole During Demonstration Near Trump International Golf Club - Paul Arthur Messer

Protest Altercation Near Trump Golf Club Ends in Arrest

A Lake Worth man was arrested after deputies say he struck a woman with a metal flagpole during a protest near Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach.

Boca Raton Woman Convicted In 2012 Child Sex Trafficking Case Arrested On Sex Offender Registration Charge - Mandi Bowman

Boca Raton Woman Convicted in 2012 Child Sex Trafficking Case Arrested on Sex Offender Registration Charge

A Boca Raton woman convicted in a 2012 child sex trafficking case is facing a new charge after investigators say she failed to complete a required six-month sex offender re-registration following a late-2025 address change.

Boca Raton Woman Accused Of Damaging Vehicle After Prior Case Reduced - Florence Okyerebea Djan

ARRESTED AGAIN: Boca Raton Woman Accused of Damaging Vehicle After Prior Case Reduced

A woman was arrested after police said she struck a vehicle at the Glades Road and Dixie Highway intersection, the second similar arrest tied to her since November court records show.

Two Teens Arrested After Pembroke Pines Man Found Dead In Suv At West Broward Boat Ramp

Two Teens Arrested After Man Found Dead in SUV at West Broward Boat Ramp

Two 19-year-old suspects are in custody in Texas after Broward Sheriff’s Office detectives tied them to a homicide involving a 22-year-old Pembroke Pines man found dead inside a vehicle at the West Broward Boat Ramp off U.S. 27.

Boca Raton Woman Charged In Pepper Spray Attack On Ex’s New Girlfriend - Jennifer Montes

Boca Raton Woman Charged in Pepper Spray Attack on Ex’s New Girlfriend

A Boca Raton woman is facing felony charges after West Palm Beach police said she opened a driver’s door, sprayed the driver with a chemical agent, and a van later blocked the driver’s only exit route.