Delray Beach Water System Shifts Treatment After Pipeline Break at Plant

by | Jan 3, 2026 · 5:30 pm | Public Safety, Delray Beach | 0 comments

Delray Beach Water System Shifts Treatment After Pipeline Break at Plant

Let's Be Friends

Support Boca Post by following us on Facebook, X (formerly Twitter), Instagram, and Nextdoor for trusted local news, events, weather updates, and important community information delivered as it happens.

Editor’s note: This story has been updated. The latest developments appear at the bottom.


DELRAY BEACH, FL (Boca Post) (Copyright © 2026) — A construction mistake near Delray Beach’s water treatment plant Friday forced the city to juggle repairs, water-use limits, and a temporary shift in how drinking water is disinfected.

City officials said a contractor working on a deep injection well “mistakenly caused a pipeline break.” Water showed up on the west side of the Water Treatment Plant along SW 4th Avenue. Not a great sight.

Until repairs are finished, the city is asking residents and businesses to ease up. Limit non-essential water use. Skip irrigation. No car washing. The idea is to keep pressure steady while crews deal with the damage.

To hold the system together, Delray Beach said it is temporarily using an interconnect with Palm Beach County. Along with that comes a change in treatment. The city began using free chlorine immediately, earlier than planned, to support system reliability during repairs.

That free chlorine period had already been on the calendar. It was supposed to run from Monday, Jan. 5, 2026, through Saturday, Jan. 24, 2026. Instead, it started right away.

Most customers probably won’t notice much beyond a possible change in taste or smell. The city said that can happen when disinfectant practices shift. It’s normal, but noticeable to some.

Later in the afternoon, another update went out as the situation widened. Because of the raw water main break, Delray Beach temporarily opened emergency water interconnections with the City of Boca Raton and the City of Boynton Beach to maintain service.

Water coming through those interconnections is disinfected with chloramine rather than free chlorine, which is what Delray Beach normally uses. The city described the notice as precautionary. Officials said there are no known health effects tied to the temporary change, and that the water continues to meet state and federal drinking water standards. Most customers, they said, won’t notice a difference.

Still, there are exceptions. Always are.

Residents who use home dialysis machines, keep aquarium fish, or operate stores or restaurants with fish and shellfish holding tanks were urged to get professional guidance on how to remove chlorine from tap water. Chlorine and aquatic life don’t mix well, and dialysis systems can be sensitive too.

The city said it will keep customers updated as repairs move forward and will notify the public once normal operations are restored.

For now, it’s a waiting game. And a conservation ask.

Questions are being routed to the Utilities Department Customer Service team, available weekdays from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at 561-243-7312.


UPDATE (Thursday, Jan. 8, 2026 — 6:18 a.m.)

Delray Beach is asking residents and businesses to keep irrigation systems off for another 72 hours, through Saturday, Jan. 10.

It’s a precaution while crews keep working on repairs near the city’s water treatment plant, off SW 4th Avenue. Outdoor water usage reduction helps protect water system pressure while preventing the need for boil water notice requirements. Nobody wants that.

The city maintains service continuity through its establishment of emergency water supply lines which connect to Boca Raton and Boynton Beach. The planned free chlorine period also started early — Saturday, Jan. 3 — instead of Jan. 5, to help stabilize the system during repairs.

Most people won’t notice much. The experience would result in a minimal change of how things taste and smell. That happens.

Home dialysis users and aquarium owners and fish and shellfish tank operators need to follow safety protocols when they receive guidance about chlorine removal.

City officials state that construction work remains active while they will distribute additional project information in the future. For now, conserve.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More News

Boynton Beach Police Arrest Three Juveniles After Shots Fired Strike Occupied Home

Boynton Beach Police Arrest Three Juveniles After Shots Fired Strike Occupied Home

Three juveniles were arrested after gunfire struck an occupied Boynton Beach residence and suspects fled from a traffic stop later that evening.

Bso Pursuit In Tamarac Ends In Fatal Crash, Suspect Charged With Felony Murder - Sean Paul Holder

BSO Pursuit in Tamarac Ends in Fatal Crash, Suspect Charged With Felony Murder

A Tamarac pursuit involving a stolen vehicle ended in a fatal crash, leaving one civilian dead and a Broward Sheriff’s Office deputy injured as the suspect now faces a felony murder charge and multiple other counts.

Man Accused Of Striking Protester With Flagpole During Demonstration Near Trump International Golf Club - Paul Arthur Messer

Protest Altercation Near Trump Golf Club Ends in Arrest

A Lake Worth man was arrested after deputies say he struck a woman with a metal flagpole during a protest near Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach.

Boca Raton Woman Convicted In 2012 Child Sex Trafficking Case Arrested On Sex Offender Registration Charge - Mandi Bowman

Boca Raton Woman Convicted in 2012 Child Sex Trafficking Case Arrested on Sex Offender Registration Charge

A Boca Raton woman convicted in a 2012 child sex trafficking case is facing a new charge after investigators say she failed to complete a required six-month sex offender re-registration following a late-2025 address change.

Boca Raton Woman Accused Of Damaging Vehicle After Prior Case Reduced - Florence Okyerebea Djan

ARRESTED AGAIN: Boca Raton Woman Accused of Damaging Vehicle After Prior Case Reduced

A woman was arrested after police said she struck a vehicle at the Glades Road and Dixie Highway intersection, the second similar arrest tied to her since November court records show.