FAU Celebrates Opening Of Schmidt Family Complex
Boca Raton, FL – The Boca Post (BocaPost.com) (Copyright © 2021) — Florida Atlantic University celebrated the opening of the Schmidt Family Complex for Academic and Athletic Excellence with a ribbon cutting ceremony yesterday (12/3/21).
“We are extremely grateful to all of the generous donors who have supported the construction of this outstanding facility on our Boca Raton campus,” said President Kelly. “Our journey to complete this state-of-the-art facility started with the Schmidts’ vision to build a complex that would benefit all our students. Today, this vision is a reality for FAU and the community we serve.”
President Kelly also said that the new landmark on the FAU campus will serve the entire community.
The Schmidt Family Complex for Academic and Athletic Excellence was initially funded by a $16 million dollar gift from the Schmidt Family Foundation which is the largest single gift in the history of FAU.
“FAU has demonstrated excellence in the arts, engineering, the sciences, business, education and medicine,” said Dick Schmidt. “We all know about it, and in the coming years as we demonstrate our athletic excellence, the whole world will know about it.”
Conveniently located next to FAU Stadium, the new Schmidt Family Complex for Academic and Athletic Excellence houses multiple centers of learning and athletics. Other features and facilities include:
- Locker Rooms
- Outdoor practice fields
- 52,000 sq ft space of classrooms, conference style study rooms
- 60 executive offices
- 12,000 sq ft space for tutor suites, a career center, computer labs, and study halls for student athletes
- 3,500 sq ft space for a sports history museum featuring more than 1,200 pieces – this free exhibit is open to the public.
- A sports medicine center to support student athletes with pre-habilitation, rehabilitation, and hydrotherapy treatments.
- A history and tradition hall — a monument celebrating FAU Owl’s history.
During the ceremony, FAU executives graciously thanked the following lead sponsors:
- Barbara and Dick Schmidt and the Schmidt Family Foundation
- Eleanor R. Baldwin and the Baldwin Family Foundation Trust
- Barbara and Bobby Campbell
- Wendy and Avron Fogelman
- Christine E. Lynn and the E.M. Lynn Foundation
- Debbie Lindstrom and Bob Sheetz
- Cathy and Abdol Moabery