Two Men Arrested After Violent Robbery Outside West Boca Plaza

by News Desk | Oct 30, 2025 · 8:22 am | Boca Raton News

Christopher Hickman (left), Gilbert “Chico” Garza (right)

Join the conversation.

Most reader discussion happens on our Facebook page. Follow Boca Post for breaking news and join the conversation.

Reach Boca Raton Readers When Legal Issues Arise

Appear alongside local arrest reports, lawsuits, and breaking coverage read daily across Boca Raton.

Connect your firm with readers actively following legal matters in the community.

Limited placements available. Boca Raton area firms only.

BOCA RATON, FL (Boca Post) (Copyright © 2025) — Two men have been arrested in connection with a violent robbery that left a man injured outside a business in the West Boca Plaza shopping center on State Road 7, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office (PBSO).

The incident occurred on the night of September 17, 2025, in front of Rayus Radiology, located at 23071 South State Road 7 — the southernmost business in the plaza. Deputies say the 63-year-old victim was asleep next to his wheelchair when two men attacked him, placed a shirt over his head, and robbed him of $314 in cash and a Bank of America debit card.

When deputies arrived, the man was bleeding from facial injuries. Palm Beach County Fire Rescue transported him to West Boca Medical Center for treatment.

According to the report, the victim told deputies he had been sleeping outside the business when he was awakened and assaulted. Surveillance footage obtained from nearby businesses, including Sunrise Liquors and La Perrada Del Gordo, shows two men pacing the sidewalk before approaching the victim. One suspect can be seen placing a white t-shirt over the victim’s head while the other rummages through his pockets and socks. Deputies say the victim’s face was forced to the ground during the attack, causing a visible laceration.

Investigators identified the suspects as Gilbert “Chico” Garza, 40, and Christopher Hickman, 40. PBSO Agent B. Swearingen, who patrols the West Boca corridor and is familiar with frequent offenders in the area, recognized both men from previous encounters. Garza — a Hispanic male with distinctive facial tattoos — was identified as the suspect restraining the victim. Hickman was recognized by a skull tattoo on his right bicep that matched prior booking photos.

According to PBSO arrest records, Garza was taken into custody on October 5, 2025, and Hickman was arrested on October 29, 2025. Both face charges of robbery with no firearm or weapon under F.S.S. 812.13(2)(c).

Deputies note that Garza’s previous reports list his address as “at large,” while Hickman has a Boca Raton address on file.

"Chico" is no stranger to breaking the law as his criminal history shows a pattern of repeat arrests in Palm Beach County. Since 2024, he has been charged at least four additional times, including for robbery, domestic battery, resisting an officer, and possession of drug paraphernalia. One of those earlier arrests — also for robbery with no firearm or weapon — involved a similar scenario in which Garza allegedly attacked a man in a public area and took cash while living without a fixed address.

The September 2025 robbery took place at the Cumberland Farms in one of West Boca’s busiest commercial plazas, located just south of Palmetto Park Road.

PBSO says the case remains open as investigators review whether the suspects may be linked to similar incidents in the area.

The West Boca Plaza corridor has seen several law-enforcement calls this year involving loitering, theft, and disorderly conduct. Deputies have increased patrols around the shopping center and nearby businesses as part of ongoing crime-prevention efforts.

Many West Boca residents — including a strong community of Second Amendment supporters — say these kinds of incidents are one reason they choose to carry concealed weapons or take advantage of Florida’s recent open-carry allowances in public places. The discussion around self-protection in public places, including local shopping centers, continues to grow.

Right of Response

Boca Post reports on arrests and court filings based on publicly available records. Individuals or businesses named in this coverage who wish to provide additional context or an official statement may request publication of a response.

FDLE issues Missing Child Alert for teen last seen in Sneads

Canceled – FDLE Issues Missing Child Alert for Teen Last Seen in Sneads

FDLE has issued a Florida Missing Child Alert for a 15-year-old boy last known to be in Sneads in Jackson County.

Raul Castro Indictment Reopens 1996 Brothers To The Rescue Case Rooted In South Florida

Raul Castro Indictment Reopens 1996 Brothers To The Rescue Case Rooted In South Florida

The Justice Department says Raul Castro and five co-defendants are charged in the 1996 shoot-down of two Miami-based Brothers to the Rescue aircraft over international waters.

Palm Beach County Man Says PBSO Deputy Failed To Yield, Caused Severe SR 80 Crash

LAWSUIT: Palm Beach County Man Says PBSO Deputy Failed To Yield, Caused Severe SR 80 Crash

A Palm Beach County man has filed a civil complaint against the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office, claiming a PBSO officer failed to yield and caused a crash on SR 80.

LAWSUIT - Estate Claims PBSO Deputies Waited Outside During Deadly Suicide Call

LAWSUIT: Estate Claims PBSO Deputies Waited Outside During Deadly Suicide Call

A wrongful death lawsuit claims Palm Beach County Sheriff’s deputies failed to enter a home during a reported suicide emergency despite consent and access from the decedent’s mother.

Estate Seeks Blood Samples From Boca Raton Regional Hospital After Woman’s Death

Estate Seeks Blood Samples From Boca Raton Regional Hospital After Woman’s Death

The estate of Helena Goldstein has filed a petition seeking blood samples held by Boca Raton Regional Hospital after she died days after a Boca Raton medical appointment.