BOCA RATON, FL (Boca Post) (Copyright © 2023) — Be sure to check out these Halloween safety tips before you go knocking on doors this year.
Halloween is an exciting time of year that children and adults eagerly look forward to. However, it’s important to remember that this festive occasion can also pose certain risks. That’s why our local law enforcement agencies have shared some valuable Halloween Safety Tips in the attached poster.
These precautionary measures will help you and your loved ones avoid any mishaps and fully enjoy the spirit of Halloween! Remember, it’s essential to report any suspicious activity promptly. If you notice something unusual, don’t hesitate to speak up.
- Make sure an adult accompanies children while they go trick or treating.
- Stick to familiar areas.
- Equip children with flashlights or glow sticks for better visibility.
- Thoroughly inspect all treats before allowing children to consume them. Discard anything unwrapped or unusual looking.
- Attach your child’s name, address and telephone number securely onto their costume in case they get separated from the group.
- Make sure to turn on the exterior lights of your home and clear any objects from the walkway that could pose a safety risk.
- If possible, encourage children to go trick or treating before it gets dark.
- Make sure to hold hands with young children, as they have a tendency to wander off without realizing the potential dangers around them.
- It’s best to avoid approaching or interacting with other people’s pets, especially in scary situations, as animals can be unpredictable and may bite.
- Remember to walk instead of running between houses.
- Only stop at houses that are well lit.
- Always cross streets at designated crosswalks or corners, never in the middle of the road.
- Never enter the home of someone you don’t know.
- Avoid playing pranks that can harm others or cause damage to property.
- It’s best to avoid long costumes that might cause children to trip (as falls are the most common Halloween related injuries).
- If using simulated knives, guns or swords as props, ensure they are soft and flexible to prevent any potential injuries.
Avoid Homes Of Registered Sex Offenders / Predators
Be sure to check with the FDLE’s website, to know what doors NOT to knock on. FDLE’s Sex Offenders and Predators Search database can be found here.
From the Boca Post family, we wish everyone a Happy Halloween!